The Jefferson Parish School Board approved the 2018-19 academic calendar during its February 7 meeting.
The calendar meets all state requirements and maximizes the amount of uninterrupted instructional time. Some of the highlights include:
- Teachers begin on Monday, Aug. 6. Students in grades 1-12 start Thursday, Aug. 9. Kindergarten and pre-K students begin Aug. 14-15.
- The survey showed parents overwhelmingly prefer early release days for teacher Professional Learning Communities as opposed to late take-in. 2018-19 will include PLC early release days on Aug. 29, Sept. 19, Oct. 31, and Feb. 13. Students will be dismissed 2.5 hours early on these days for teacher professional development.
- Thanksgiving Break is Nov. 19-23, Winter Break is Dec. 24 to Jan. 4, Mardi Gras Break is March 4-8, and Spring Break is April 19-23.
- Other student holidays include Sept. 3 (Labor Day), Oct. 8 (Fall Break), Nov. 1 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences), Nov. 6 (Election Day), Jan. 7 (Records Day), Jan. 21 (MLK), and March 21 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences).
- Senior exams are May 13-15, the last day for students is May 23, and the last day for teachers is May 24.
- The calendar is subject to change for the 2019 state assessment schedule.
- Multiple dates are reserved as make-up days for inclement weather.
A JPPSS calendar committee created three calendar options. The community was then invited to vote for one of the three calendars and offer other input through an online survey. The winning calendar option received 57% of the votes. The calendar committee consisted of teachers, principals, administrators, staff members, parent organization members, and other stakeholders.