The calendar meets all state requirements, maximizes the amount of uninterrupted instructional time, and provides teachers with the opportunity to grow through effective professional development. Some highlights include:
- Teachers start August 5. Students in grades 1-12 start August 8. Kindergarten and pre-K students start August 15-16.
- The district will no longer have four early release days for teacher professional development (PD). Instead, two full days will be used for teacher PD. These dates are September 16 and January 6. Students will not have school on these days.
- Thanksgiving Break is November 25-29, Winter Break is December 23 to January 3, Mardi Gras Break is February 24-28, and Spring Break is April 10-14.
- Other student holidays include September 2 (Labor Day), October 10-11 (Fall Break), November 11 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences), January 20 (MLK), and March 13 (Teacher PD/Parent Conferences).
- The last day for students is May 21 and the last day for teachers is May 22.
- The calendar is subject to change for the 2020 state assessment schedule.
- Multiple dates are reserved as make-up days for inclement weather.
A JPPSS calendar committee created calendar guidelines, and community input was used to develop three calendar options. The community was then invited to vote for one of three calendar options through an online survey. The winning calendar option received just over half the votes. The entire calendar can be viewed on the district’s website at jpschools.org/calendar.